Drinks cans are made of an alloy of aluminium with 1.5% manganese, to improve resistance to corrosion. With aluminium, antimony and copper it forms highly magnetic alloys. Manganese(IV) oxide is used as a catalyst, a rubber additive and to decolourise glass that is coloured green by iron impurities.
Use of manganese ore ?
About 30 percent of that is used during refinement of iron ore, and the remaining 70 percent is used as an alloy in the final steel product. Manganese Can Color Glass: Ancient Egyptians and Romans used pyrolusite, a mineral of manganese dioxide, to control the color of glass.
Why Manganese is used in iron and steel industry?
As much as 90 percent of manganese consumption, both in the United States and globally, is accounted for by the steel industry. Manganese removes oxygen and sulfur when iron ore (an iron and oxygen compound) is converted into iron. ...Manganese is used also as an alloy with metals such as aluminum and copper.